CERTIFICATE IN EATING DISORDERS
The 12-week ONLINE course in Eating Disorders is designed to provide you with the knowledge & skills required to effectively understand individuals who are struggling with Anorexia, Bulimia Nervosa, Binge Eating Disorder, and other eating problems. The course is also excellent for people suffering from an Eating Disorder to gain insight into the underpinning reasons for their Eating Disorder and also to gain the tools necessary to recover.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES AND COURSE BENEFITS
This course in Eating Disorders aims to provide the necessary keys to understanding the complex condition of eating disorders. The course also aims to provide you with a crucial understanding along with the proper way to approach the situation initially at the preventive stage as well as intervention levels if the problem has already manifested. Aside from that, this highly popular course aims to provide the necessary training to improve competency in working with eating disorders and other eating difficulties.
Entry Requirements: The course is ideal for both people who are in recovery from an Eating Disorder. It is also for people who work with Eating Disorders in a professional capacity. This can include mental health staff in a range of different professions including Nurses, psychologists, GPs, psychiatrists, psychotherapists, counsellors, social workers, occupational therapists, counselling and psychology students.
Types of Eating Disorders.
- Definitions and concepts of eating disorders.
- Information about and facts about eating disorders.
- Anorexia nervosa; Bulimia; Compulsive eating; Body dysmorphic. disorder; Pica; Anorexia Athletica; Cyclic vomiting.
Theories of eating disorders
- Predisposing Factors – Genetics, Personality, Biological factors, Biochemistry, Family links, Eating Disorders as an Addiction, The Social Context
- Precipitating Factors – Stressors, Abuse, Growing up, Sexuality, Response to Crisis
- Perpetuating Factors – Family Relationships, Psychological factors, Cognitive factors
Medical intervention; Prevention; Relapse; Recovery
- The 12-step model
- Counselling & Therapy
- Self-esteem, Emotional needs, Control.
Eating disorders within the family
- Relationships and food
- Family systems, Family dynamics
- The difficulties of growing up, Transitions, Stress
- Dependency and Co-dependency
BY THE END OF THIS COURSE, PARTICIPANTS WILL HAVE.
- An understanding of the different types, theories, and treatments of eating disorders
- An understanding of the underlying problems which may lead to eating disorders.
- A better understanding of how society influences and impacts our approaches to food and our body image.
- A fundamental grasp of the right approaches to utilize to approach the situation at both the preventative and intervention levels if the problem has already manifested itself.
- Training based on the latest research will enhance competency in working with eating disorders or other eating problems.
- Develop sensitive listening skills
- How to deal with challenging or defensive behaviour
- CBT practice skills.
- Advanced communication skills
- Avoiding traps that may maintain the disorder
- Supporting recovery